Tuesday 11 March 2014

20 Questions with... Loopy

Every fortnight I will be contacting a member of the 40K community and ask them to be subjected to my 20 nail bitting, edge of your seat questions. Some of the answers I get probe the deep dark recesses of the human condition whilst others will astonish you in their wisdom or lack thereof…

During the week I contacted Adam Fasoldt, better known by Loopy on the IndependentCharacters forums to see if he was interested in being subjected to my '20 Questions with...' series. But first up I should introduced Adam a little. Adam is an interesting character who's vigorous hobbying has inspired me during the 2013 & 2014 Hobby Progress Challenges run by the Independent Characters podcast. Currently Adam is the poor sod who's looking after this year's challenge on the forums, and there is no better person to do it. He also runs a blog himself over at waaghdrillteef.blogspot.com so check it out and you can also follow his progress during the 2014 Independent Characters' Hobby Progress Challenge here where he is painting up some beautiful Orange Sisters.

So without further ado here is a window into Loopy, aka Adam's mind:



1. What got you into the hobby?
I've always been a gamer. I started playing D&D when I was 13 and had a Storyteller series phase, an Amber diceless phase, a Palladium phase, two Battletech phases, and three Magic: the Gathering phases. As far as 40k goes, my friends and I had always been interested in it, but the cost was prohibitive. It wasn't until we were in our early 30s that we all realized that we had real jobs and could afford whatever game we wanted. One of my buddies suggested we start 40k and we've never forgiven him since.

2. Favourite army of all time? Do you currently pay it? If not why Not?
Orks, of course. Fun to collect. Fun and easy to convert. Anything goes as far as paint is concerned. They also have a very strong tactical depth which I appreciate. One of the most important things is that the army's mirth in carnage flies in the face of grimdark.

3. Favourite 40k fluff and why?
The story of Tuska from the Ork 4th edition codex. He is awesome. I want to make a Tuska Daemon army, but I'm too chicken right now.

4. Favourite 40K quote?
"Half-glimpsed shadows? Orks wearing camouflage? Do you take us for imbeciles? Orks are barbaric and entirely single-minded. Army dogma, which has served us well for ten thousand years, teaches us this. Greenskins come on in a great horde, they do not slink and sneak in the shade.
Guards! Take the prisoner to the holding cells to await execution for cowardice and incompetence."
- ProvostMajor Kyae, at the court-martial of Lt.Gordo

5. If you could invite any character from 40K fluff to dinner who would it be?
The Emperor.
And what would you serve him/her for dinner?
Kaldor Draigo

6. Favourite film?
Groundhog Day

7. Favourite TV series?
Doctor Who

8. If your life was a movie, who'd play you?
Jonah Hill

9. Favourite comic book superhero?
Deadpool

10. If you could live in any period of human history when would it be and why?
Interstellar colonization period. Because I can't imagine answering any other way.

11. If you could use any 40k Universal Special Rules or Codex Special Rule in day to day life what would it be? Why?
Feel No Pain. For doing really dumb stuff.

12. Biggest 40K regret?
Selling my Deathwing which were all old metal models with banners painted in a Dark Tower theme. A man in Canada has them. I plan on buying them back someday.

13. Strangest “food” you’ve eaten?
I'm a boring American; I don't eat strange food. I guess the weirdest thing was a whole lobster because I felt like I was really pulling apart an animal.

14. Fantasy job for a day?
The leader of an enhanced interrogation of Jervis Johnson.

15. Top 5 favourite songs?
Not in this order. Instead of being my current top 5, these have all been, at one stage in my life, my favourite song.
Foreigner - I've Been Waiting for a Girl Like You
"Weird Al" Yankovic - Nature Trail to Hell
Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here
Jane's Addiction - Three Days
Loretta Lynn - Portland Oregon

16. If $1million mysteriously turned up in your bank account, what would you spend it on?
A new house and probably adopting a few kids.

17. If you were offered a place amongst the 1st humans to colonize Mars, would you accept it?
Without the slightest hesitation, though not without my wife.

18. If you could, what would be the one thing in the hobby you would improve upon?
A more concise and regular FAQ cycle.

I hope that's not a disappointment. I know a popular answer will be "negative jerks" or whatever, but I can deal with people. I consider myself good at working with people who are challenging to deal with on a social level.

19. Most Epic 40k moment?
It's hard to choose. I get very excited about every play. LOL. The most epic one of recent memory was when two squads of 10 Gretchin killed two Lictors in close combat and Deathleaper in Overwatch, all in the same game. They were invincible!

20. If you could “Grudge Match” anyone on the planet to a game of 40K who would it be and why?
A friendly and competitive game vs. Alex Fennel running a balanced list. Great attitude. Great competitor. Hilarious and irreverent paint jobs on his armies. Overall, this would be a great game. Though I'm not sure I'd call it a "Grudge" match.

If we were talking a true grudge match, I'd say Jervis Johnson. I'd love to break his spirit with some horrible monstrosity of a list to teach him a lesson about why FAQs are important.



So there you have it, Loopy in a nut shell! If you would like to answer my twenty questions or have questions of your own leave a comment or email me personally at impguard2012@gmail.com. I'll bring you another victim next fortnight.

No comments:

Post a Comment